Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Ethical dilemma: flashing other drivers about speed traps?

On my way to making a quick stop-off to purchase a few items this morning, I passed a cleverly-hidden unmarked cruiser pulling over speeders driving westbound on Strandherd Drive near the corner of Longfields Drive. He had positioned himself a few metres behind the intersection's stop line, off on the right curb beside the entrance to the Esso station on the corner, obscured from traffic by one of the many piles of snow burying sidewalks all over Barrhaven. Rarely have I seen a better spot for a cop to hide, and I've passed through many clever speed traps over the years.

This officer was feeding on speeders all morning -- when I passed the same spot a couple of hours later he was still there, writing a ticket to yet another driver caught traveling through the construction zone that is Strandherd at over the posted 50 km/h speed limit.

As I was turning onto Longfields from Strandherd, traveling in the opposite direction on the other side of the intersection, I personally was in no jeopardy of attracting the officer's radar-fed ire. But it did remind me of a discussion that happened not too long ago in reference to radar traps -- is it okay for drivers to warn each other of impending peril of the speeding ticket variety?

I read a story in a Toronto paper recently about someone who was given a ticket for flashing their high beams at cars going the other way that were approaching a speed trap he had just passed. Cops were waiting down the road for high beam flashers, and they pulled over the driver in question and gave him a ticket. Since using your high beams for such a purpose isn't explicitly against the provincial Highway & Traffic Act, the driver challenged the ticket and had the fine overturned. But he noted -- how many people got tickets like that and paid them, oblivious to the fact that the officers had no legal foundation upon which to issue the tickets in the first place?

I'm sure you've also heard of radio stations taking calls from motorists to let others know the locations of speed traps during morning and afternoon rush hours. The police in various places have been known to frown upon this practice and to ask the stations to cease and desist.

As I was driving away from the officer on Strandherd, I thought to myself: "maybe someone should be warning people about the speed trap. I'm sure the officer would appreciate it if everyone was driving around 50 km/h, like they're supposed to." After all, isn't the police service supposed to be more interested in seeing people drive the speed limit than in writing punitive moving infraction notices? But I somehow suspect the cops would prefer that I kept that knowledge to myself.

No comments: